On Saturday in Katooke Village, Nansana Municipality in Wakiso District, a mother and her four children died in a house fire suspected of being an act of arson.
The deceased were identified by police as Darren Namutebi, 30, Aisha
Birungi, 13, Jennifer Nanyonjo, 8, Seguya Mugenyi, 7, and Israel Ntulume, 6.
Luke Owoyesigyire, deputy spokesman for the Kampala Metropolitan Police, said they suspected the fire had been caused by an electric short circuit.
He said, however, that the residents, including the only survivor, Mr. Moses
Bogere, the dead man’s husband and father, said it was a petrol bomb.
“Mr. Bogere said he heard something in the sitting room hitting the window,
and a loud bang and a bright light followed it,” Mr. Owoyesigyire said.
He added: “The individual suspected of being behind the case appeared before the police, but he denied the allegations.” We are holding him to assist with investigations and protect him from angry residents as well.
The fire started at 1 am in the living room where the four children were sleeping and later spread to the bedroom where the parents were, according to a police report.
According to the police, Mr. Bogere and Namutebi were rescued by residents who had dug a hole in the wall.
However, after realizing that her kids were still inside to rescue them, Namutebi re-entered the house, Mr Owoyesigyire said.
The residents say that attempts to stop her from losing her life have failed.
She was caught in the fire and died inside the home, too, before she could save anyone,’ he said.
He said forensic technicians took samples from the scene to ascertain the cause of death.
“To determine whether or not petrol or any other inflammable liquid was used, all the bodies will also be examined,” he said.